Healthcare IT Services In Nashville & Middle Tennessee
Creating and maintaining electronic health records enables caregivers to manage various aspects of patient care more effectively. However, storing and handling patient information (on-premise or in the cloud) comes with the responsibility of implementing robust healthcare data security measures. At Kraft Technology Group, we provide technology solutions that medical practices or healthcare-related enterprises like yours may leverage to maintain, process, share, and secure electronically protected health information (ePHI).
Why Do You Need Healthcare Compliant IT Services?
As a medical practice, it’s in your best professional and financial interests to comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The rule requires healthcare practices to implement technical and non-technical safeguards against the loss or breach of ePHI. HIPAA security and privacy rules govern the storage and transmission of ePHI as well as the sharing of patient data with third parties. Noncompliance exposes a provider to hefty HIPAA fines. Similarly, security breaches can hurt the trust patients have in their caregivers.
Recent HIPAA Breaches and Their Legal Ramifications
- In New Jersey, Virtua Medical Group agreed to pay $417, 816 in fines for failing to prevent the online disclosure of medical records of about 1,650 patients. A third-party IT provider had misconfigured a server holding the ePHI.
- In February 2018, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) slapped the Fresenius Medical Care North America (FMCNA) with a $3.5 million fine for five separate HIPAA violations. In one such breach, FMC Duval and FMC Blue Island operated medical facilities and equipment without proper cybersecurity safeguards against intrusion, system interference, and data theft.
The ePHI breaches above offer several takeaways for covered entities that are considering ways to secure electronic patient information in compliance with HIPAA’s data security and privacy provisions:
- As a caregiver, you may be liable for the loss or inadvertent disclosure of your patients’ data even if your IT managed service provider caused the breach.
- Data loss prevention measures, for example, creating and maintaining multiple exact copies of electronic health records, are legal requirements.
- Cybersecurity awareness and training programs for your hospital staff at all levels constitute a data compliance issue.
- As part of your overall data compliance strategy, you should conduct a comprehensive assessment of cyber threats to the privacy, integrity, and availability of your ePHI, be it offsite or on-premise.
KTG offers a broad spectrum of HIPAA-compliant technology solutions for small and mid-sized healthcare organizations. Data security is ingrained in all our IT provisions, including:
1. Cybersecurity Services
To help you comply with HIPAA rules and protect your ePHI, we provide a broad range of cybersecurity services. Our endpoint protection solutions detect and prevent ransomware, malware, viruses, and spyware from accessing your network through devices such as computers, tablets, and smartphones. Likewise, up-to-date software patching eliminates security gaps in third-party software like Adobe and operating systems, including Windows and iOS. Other critical cybersecurity services we offer include:
- Email security: Business-class email systems with two-factor user-authentication, encryption, and malware detection safeguards help keep cyber threats at bay.
- Application whitelisting: The service screens all software running on your network to separate useful applications from malicious ones.
- Data encryption
- End-user cybersecurity training: We train nurses, doctors, clerks, and third-party staff handling patient information on how to recognize and side-step cyber threats, including phishing attempts.
- Secure network architecture
- Firewall and intrusion control
2. Compliant Cloud Solutions
We offer cost-effective, HIPAA-compliant cloud solutions to help you enhance the quality of care for your patients. Practitioners can access cloud-hosted data and software on demand, including while on the move. Our servers are hardened to help mitigate threats from unauthorized access or tampering, helping to keep the integrity and confidentiality of sensitive patient data intact.
3. Compliant Managed IT Services
KTG provides IT support services to ensure that your healthcare systems remain available and perform at optimal levels consistently. Through ongoing monitoring, our team of HIPAA-compliant and trained technicians detect and fix potential glitches before they can cause system downtimes. We’re proactive, and we provide in-depth industry analytics to help align your health IT strategy with best practices.
4. Disaster Recovery Services
Keep your clinical and patient data available all the time with our business continuity solutions. We provide disaster recovery services, such as software and data backups, to help you resume operations quickly after a flood, fire, or other natural emergencies.
5. Virtual CIO Service
Our virtual CIO service delivers the technical capabilities and expertise your healthcare company is unable to develop in-house. We can help you make the right strategic and platform-level decisions on behalf of your IT department, eliminating the need to maintain a costly job position. Our experts have extensive experience in healthcare systems, and they supervise or spearhead the design, development, and deployment of customized IT infrastructure. We help caregivers and related organizations with a thorough audit of IT systems.
6. Healthcare Services
At KraftCPAs and affiliates, we offer a range of healthcare services, including:
- Reimbursements: We help healthcare providers recoup Medicare bad debts and underpayments.
- Financial Services: These include accounting services, tax return preparation, and internal financial audits.
- Coding and Compliance: Is your healthcare IT system compliant with HIPAA, HITECH, and HITRUST rules? Are your medical coding and clinical documentation practices above board? Our experienced auditors are ready to assess your practice and help align it with relevant industry standards and laws.
- Consultancy: We can be your technology strategist when you need to leverage best in class solutions to streamline hospital operations and drive growth. Our advisory services also cover benefit plan administration, mergers and acquisitions, investment strategies, and best practices for capital formation and healthcare business restructuring.
Count On KTG For Healthcare IT Services
Whether you’re a medical facility, doctor’s office, or health/insurance plan, KTG has the technological resources and expertise to help you maintain, process, and transmit patient data securely. We are your reliable provider of healthcare compliant IT services. Our service has been audited by a trusted third-party, which distinguishes us from other providers.
Contact us for help with securing or setting up your HIPAA-compliant health management information system!